Menu
About Us

MelendezCanutillo Elementary School

Julie Melendez
Principal

Canutillo Elementary School bills itself as "Canutillo's First."

Indeed, Canutillo Elementary traces its roots to the Lone Star School that first opened in the early 1900s as part of the El Paso County Schools system. After the Canutillo Independent School District was established in 1959, the name of Canutillo Elementary School was officially adopted, and students moved into the Alamo Building that housed students in the elementary grades for decades.  That building was a big part of the educational complex that for years also served middle– and high– school students. 

In the 1980s a fire destroyed the gym, which had now become a facility serving only elementary-level students. In 1998 and 1999, voters approved bond funding to build a new Canutillo Elementary School adjacent to the old Building. The new CES includes modern classrooms and instructional facilities, as well as a large atrium with a garden that includes exotic plants and large murals.

Academically, CES continues to thrive in all subject areas. The campus is also home to community programs like the Boys & Girls Club and the Mother/Daughter Father/Son Program.  





   
Contact Us  
Principal  Julieta Melendez
 jmelendez@canutillo-isd.org
Assistant Principal  Maria Alarcon
 malarcon@canutillo-isd.org
Office Manager  Loretta Zavala
 lzavala@canutillo-isd.org
Phone:  915-877-7600
Fax:  915-877-7609
Address:  651 Canutillo Ave
 Canutillo, Texas 79835
Mailing Address  PO Box 100
 Canutillo, Texas 79835
School Start Time:
School End Time:
 7:40 a.m.
 3:15 p.m.
Office Hours:  7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Grades:  Pre-K - Fifth Grade
Mascot:   Eagles
School Colors:  Orange, White and Royal Blue